Katy Perry Biography






Katy Perry Biography



Birth Name
Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson

Height
5' 8" (1.73 m)

Spouse
Russell Brand




Katy Perry In Childhood


Singer, songwriter, and musician. Born Katheryn Hudson on October 25, 1984, in Santa Barbara, California. Known for her over-the-top fashions, quirky stage props, and catchy songs, Katy Perry has become a pop music sensation.

Fans might be surprised to learn that the singer who writes about sexual exploration in "I Kissed a Girl" grew up in a very conservative family. Both of her parents are pastors, and they refused to let her listen to any rock or popular music. "The only things I was allowed to listen to were the Sister Act 1 and 2 soundtracks," Perry told Entertainment Weekly. She and her two siblings were also not permitted to watch such cable channels as MTV and VH1.

Perry started taking singing lessons around the age of 9 and learned to play guitar when she was 13. Around this time, she began rebelling against her strict upbringing by piercing her own nose. She soon became interested in pursuing a career in music. With her mother, Perry made several trips to Nashville to record a gospel album, Katy Hudson, which was released in 2001. "It reached literally maybe 100 people, and then the label went bankrupt," Perry explained to Entertainment Weekly.

As a teenager, Perry was exposed to other musical influences. One friend introduced her to the music of Queen, which remains one of her favorite groups. "I'm very inspired by Freddie Mercury and how flamboyant and theatrical he was," she told fashion magazine WWD. In high school, she strove to be her own person, choosing not to limit herself to one social group. "I was a hop-around. I hung out with the rockabilly crew, the guys who were trying to be rappers, the funny kids," she told Seventeen magazine.

Focused on her music, Perry got her GED and moved to Los Angeles to work with producer and songwriter Glen Ballard, who had worked with such artists as Christina Aguilera and Alanis Morissette. She was only 17 years old at time, and being on her own proved tough. "It was five years of living in L.A. with no money, writing bad checks, selling my clothes to make rent, [and] borrowing money," she told Seventeen magazine. Perry also experienced a string of disappointments before getting her big break. She and Ballard were unable to find a record company willing to take them on, and her 2004 collaboration with music producers-turned-performers The Matrix was scrapped shortly before the project was to be released. After having three record deals fall apart, Perry finally signed with Capitol in 2007.

Later that year, Perry released her first single, "Ur So Gay." Pop superstar Madonna became a fan of the song, calling it one of her favorites of the moment. The song drew comparisons to the likes of Lily Allen, another singer known for her quirky, cheeky lyrics. Perry said the single was inspired by the emo scene, and the "guys with guy-liner who use flatirons." Still, her career did not fully take off until the release of her next single, "I Kissed a Girl," which reached the top of the charts during the summer of 2008. With that song's success, her debut album, One of the Boys, made it into the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song also earned Perry a Grammy Award nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.




Katy Perry In Childhood


Trivia
Perry is her mother's maiden name.

Former Christian folk singer turned pop singer.

Released an album in 2001 as "Katy Hudson".

Parents Keith Hudson and wife Mary Perry are both pastors. She's their middle child and has one older sister and one younger brother.

Got engaged to Russell Brand during the Christmas holidays in 2009. They were dating since September 2009.

Her hit song "I Kissed a Girl" was partially inspired by actress Scarlett Johansson.

Is close friends with Rihanna.

Is friends with Perez Hilton and Adam Lambert.

Niece of director Frank Perry.

Ranked #1 on Maxim magazine's Hot 100 Women of 2010 list.

Is a natural blonde. She dyes her hair black.

Married Russell Brand in India.

Was voted #8 in the 2011 Askmen top 99 "most desirable women" list.

When growing up she wasn't allowed to watch MTV.

Has a cat named Kitty Purry.

She can play acoustic guitar and electric guitar.


Personal Quotes
If people want a role model, they can have Miley Cyrus.

[on who she wants to kiss] Scarlett Johansson before she gets married to Ryan Reynolds. She is a classic beauty. I love that 1940s pin-up look.

Have I ever kissed a girl? Of course I have. I can't sing a song and not have done it. That'd be complete hypocrisy. I fancy Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Angelina Jolie - I'd definitely kiss them.

[on Rihanna] We're friends and we're both kind of on this crazy roller coaster, and ... it's nice to have good girlfriends. I pride myself on having cool chicks in my life, and she's a cool chick.

[on future husband Russell Brand] He's a genius and geniuses are both wonderful and delicate in the greatest way.

[on "The X Factor" (2004)] The most gorgeous judge is Cheryl Cole. That woman is just edible.

[on Rihanna missing her wedding] I was upset she couldn't make it but let me promise you, there was no one more upset about it than her. When you have an album coming out you don't have a spare second in the day and you're answerable to the record company. She felt really bad she couldn't be there but we're still the very best of friends. My girl organized the best bachelorette party ever and I'll always love her to bits.

Look, any couple in a serious relationship has that talk about babies, but we haven't decided when. Russell wants lots of children and I think there's something amazing about tons of kids running around. We probably won't have the talk again for a few years - it's important to enjoy each other before having babies.

My singing is really important to me, but when children come along they'll be my main focus. I'd never put my career in front of my babies - it'd be a case of fitting jobs around them.

(on her song "I Kissed a Girl") The song was inspired by a friendship I had with a girl when I was 15, and I did kiss her. I was totally obsessed with her. She was beautiful - porcelain skin, perfect lips - and I still talk to her, but I've never told her the song is about her.

"I Kissed a Girl" was inspired when I opened up a magazine and I saw a picture of Scarlett Johansson. I was with my boyfriend at the time, and I said to him, 'I'm not going to lie: If Scarlett Johansson walked into the room and wanted to make out with me, I would make out with her. I hope you're okay with that?'






You Might Like These Also :-