Scarlett Johansson Biography






Scarlett Johansson Biography





Birth Name :-
Scarlett Ingrid Johansson


Date of Birth :-
22 November 1984, New York City, New York, USA

Height :-
5' 4¼" (1.63 m)

Scarlett Johansson was born in New York City to Melanie Sloan (of Polish descent) and Karsten Johansson (of Danish descent). Scarlett showed a passion for acting at a young age and starred in many plays. She has a sister named Vanessa Johansson, a brother named Adrian, and a twin brother named Hunter Johansson born three minutes after her.

She began her acting career in 1994 starring as "Laura Nelson" in North (1994). In 1998, the acclaimed film The Horse Whisperer (1998) brought Johansson critical praise and worldwide recognition. Following the film's success, she starred in many other films including the critically acclaimed cult film Ghost World (2001) and then the hit Lost in Translation (2003) with Bill Murray in which she again stunned critics. Later on, she appeared in Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003).

In 2003, she was nominated for two Golden Globes, one for drama (Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)) and one for comedy (Lost in Translation (2003)). She dropped out of Mission: Impossible III (2006) due to scheduling conflicts. Her next film role was in The Island (2005) alongside Ewan McGregor which earned weak reviews from U.S. critics.

After this, she appeared in Woody Allen's Match Point (2005) and was nominated again for a Golden Globe.

Spouse
Ryan Reynolds (27 September 2008 - 1 July 2011) (divorced)

Wide range of hair styles and colors

Blond hair and green eyes

Seductive husky voice

Often plays characters who look and act older than their age

Frequently works with Woody Allen

Curvy, buxom figure

Pale skin


Trivia :-


Received an "introducing" credit for The Horse Whisperer (1998) although it was her seventh feature film.

Has a younger twin brother, Hunter Johansson.

Attended and graduated in 2002 from Professional Children's School in Manhattan, New York City.

Grandchild of writer Ejner Johansson.

Is of Danish descent on her father's side and Ashkenazi Jewish descent on her mother's side.

Was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) in June 2004.

Applied to New York University's Tisch School of the Arts for the fall 2003 semester, but was not accepted. The rejection allowed her to focus on her career, which blossomed soon after.

Shortly after Lost in Translation (2003) was released, she said she had a connection to older men and couldn't see herself dating anyone under 30. True to her word, she had a relationship with actor Benicio Del Toro, who is 17 years her senior.

Was cast as Rebecca in Thumbsucker (2005), but dropped out before filming commenced and was replaced by Kelli Garner.

Her father Karsten Johansson, a NY architect, and mother Melanie Sloan, her manager, now divorced, separated when she was 13.

Campaigned for John Kerry in the 2004 Presidential Election.

Celebrated her 20th birthday at Disneyland.

Auditioned for a role in The Parent Trap (1998), which finally went to Lindsay Lohan.

Has an older half-brother (Christian Johansson), an older sister (Vanessa Johansson, an older brother (Adrian Johansson, born 1976) and a twin brother (Hunter Johansson).

Planned to attend Purchase University to study film.

Her older sister Vanessa Johansson is also an actress.

Prepared for her role in Lost in Translation (2003) by living on Hokkaido with then-boyfriend Faiz Ahmad.

She is three minutes older than twin brother Hunter Johansson. She says these three minutes are the most important in her life.

Had a tonsillectomy.

First role (uncredited) was in a skit during the first year of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (1993) at age 8. She relived this moment during an interview with Conan on July 12, 2005, twelve years later.

Father Karsten Johansson was born in Denmark, while her mother, Melanie Sloan, comes from a Bronx-bred family of Polish descent.

Ranked #9 in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World (2005). And was also the highest ranking new entry to the list.

Named #24 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2005 list.

Director Sofia Coppola directed both Scarlett and her boyfriend Josh Hartnett, but not in the same movie. Scarlett was in Coppola's Lost in Translation (2003) and Hartnett starred in The Virgin Suicides (1999)

She donated many items to Rocky Stone to be given to less fortunate kids as part of the Toy Mountain Campaign.

Was featured as #63 in Maxim Magazine's "Hot 100 of 2002" supplement. (2002)

Named #6 on Maxim magazines "Hot 100" list of 2006

Chosen by FHM readers as "Sexiest Woman Alive" in FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World (2006).

Has a cat named Trooper.

Named "Sexiest Woman Alive" by Esquire Magazine [October, 2006].

Named #1 in FHM magazine's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2006" supplement. (2006).

Member of the jury at the Venice Film Festival in 2004.

Has been named the Sexiest Celebrity of 2007 by Playboy Magazine.

Is a fan of Woody Allen.

Ranked #3 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2007 list.

Has a chihuahua named Maggie.

Was considered for the role of Susan Storm/Invisible Girl in Fantastic Four (2005).

Was offered the role of Lindsey Farris in Mission: Impossible III (2006).

Was offered the role of Evey in V for Vendetta (2006).

Was offered the role of Lois Lane in Superman Returns (2006).

Is an alumni of the Lee Strasberg Institute such as actors Frank Miranda, Mickey Rourke, Rosario Dawson, Dennis Hopper, Julia Roberts.

Was ranked #12 on Forbes List of The 20 Top-Earning Young Superstars.(2007).

In 2006, she was earning $2 million per year representing L'Oreal cosmetics.

In 2007, Forbes Magazine estimated her earnings for the year at $5 million.

Supports Barack Obama.

Was ranked #1 on Entertainment Weekly's '30 Under 30' the actress list. (2008).

Raised money for international relief organization Oxfam by auctioning off two tickets for He's Just Not That Into You (2009) on eBay, giving the winning bidders the opportunity to mingle with her. [March 2008]

Announced her engagement to Ryan Reynolds, having been in a relationship with him since February 2007 (5 May 2008).

Ranked #2 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.

Was in a relationship with Josh Hartnett (December 2004-November 2006).

Married fiancé Ryan Reynolds in a quiet ceremony in Canada on September 27th, 2008.

An avid fan of Tom Waits, she recorded an album comprised entirely of Tom Waits covers, titled "Anywhere I Lay My Head". The album was released on May 16, 2008 but was not widely recognized.

Bust 36C (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine).

She says her only vice is cheese.

Replaced Brazilian 'Gisele Bundchen' as the face of "Dolce & Gabbana" perfumes [2009].

Her natural hair color is dark blonde.

French synth band The Teenagers wrote a song about her called "Starlett Johansson".

According to a poll of 5000 people conducted by Glamour Magazine, Johansson was voted as having the "World's Sexiest Body".

Was cast in Iron Man 2 (2010) after Emily Blunt dropped out due to other commitments.

Tested for the role of Karen in Mean Girls (2004) but lost out to Amanda Seyfried.

In February 2007, Johansson was named the "Sexiest Celebrity" of the year by Playboy.

Has another sister named Fenan. She was adopted by Johansson's mother Melanie Sloan from Ethopia in May 2010.

In 2010 she won a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Play after making her Broadway debut in Arthur Miller's "A View From the Bridge".

Johansson was named by GQ (men's magazine) as "Babe of the Year" for 2010.

Her husband, Ryan Reynolds was named as the "Sexiest Man Alive" by 'People' Magazine (2010) during the same time that Johansson was named as "Babe of the Year" by 'GQ' Magazine.

Has been the ambassador of Moet & Chandon Champagne since 2009.

Her husband Ryan Reynolds filed for divorce in December 2010, citing irreconcilable differences.

Has appeared in advertising campaigns for Calvin Klein, L'Oreal, and Louise Vuitton. In 2009 she was also the face of Dolce & Gabbana make-up.

Became the face of Spanish clothing company Mango in 2009.

Was ranked #7 on Askmen's Top 99 Most Desirable Women of 2011.

Was in consideration for the role of Ryan in Gravity (2012/I) but Sandra Bullock was cast instead.

Was voted #14 on the 2011 Maxim list of "Hot 100" women.

In 2006, she signed an endorsement deal with cosmetics brand L'Oreal for $4,000,000.

The Looney Tunes Show created a character called Starlet Johansson in the episode Casa De Calma (June 2011), the character resembles Scarlett Johansson.

Johansson was voted as the "World's Most Natural Beauty" according to a UK poll (2011).

Voted as having the "Best Breasts" in Hollywood by In Touch Magazine (2006) and the "Best Female Bum" according to a British poll.

Voted "Hollywood's Most Natural Beauty" by a survey of make-up artists (2006).

Ranked #32 in the 100 Hot Girls list by FHM UK (2011). Previously she was ranked #23 in 2010, #13 in 2009, #6 in 2008, #5 in 2007, #3 in 2006 and #68 in 2005.

Voted as one of the "Most Beautiful" people by People magazine in 2007 and 2010.

Voted #22 in Who Magazine's "Most Beautiful People" 2010.

Voted as one of the "Twenty Most Beautiful People of the Decade" by Interview Magazine (2009).

Ranked #3 in the 2009 FHM list of "Sexiest Women in the World".

Ranked #5 in the 2008 FHM list of "Sexiest Women in the World".

Ranked #4 Sexiest Woman in the world (2011) by the Spanish version of DT magazine.


Personal Quotes
I'm so tired of hearing casting directors ask if I have a sore throat. The people who have told me that my voice is distinctive, it's unusual...those people have always been close to my heart.

"It would be hellish to have the pressure of putting on a Hollywood ending or putting in a scene where Vermeer sees Griet washing her breasts" - commenting on why she was glad that Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003) was a small foreign production.

I always check in the mirror to make sure nothing is see-through.

I have a lot of actor friends who worked with their parents closely and have had really horrible experiences. They end up suing or being emancipated. The wonderful thing about my mom [who is also her manager] is that she completely respects my creative weirdness and supports any decision I make.

As long as people keep buying tabloids, they'll keep harassing people in the public eye. They'll make up stories.

On David Hasselhoff, after they had both worked on The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004): "I so fancied him when I was young, that to see my name on the credits next to his makes me go all girly. He was a hunk back in those days."

I have an obsessive character. I manicure my nails at three in the morning because nobody else can do it the right way. Maybe that's the secret to my success.

It's a great thing to get older and learn. I don't feel bound in any way by how many years I've lived. I identify just as much with my 86-year-old grandmother as I do with my sister.

People forget what it's like to be a child. When you're a child actress, people sometimes regress into being obnoxious and patronizing. But there's no reason to dumb things down just because you're working with kids.

What I respect most in people is naturalness and authenticity. I like to be able to see into their soul. I aspire to being a truthful person.

The most precious moment in life is when you're about to fall in love. You're lying in bed together and he's gazing at you and you're gazing at him and there's a sense that something truly wondrous is about to happen. It's a nervous moment - but it's exhilarating.

I am very independent. I can look after myself but I still need a lot of love and care.

I don't talk about my personal relationships, it always ends up kicking you in the face. But I've read a lot of things about myself and think, `Wow! That girl sounds really saucy.'

I think that I sort of see other actresses are kind of proud of the way they look and show it off. That's never really been my style. I really don't think that it's disgusting or wrong, if you're 18 you're 18, it's your body, it's your right to show yourself, however, I don't really take a part in that. I like to look nice, but I think that there's ways of doing it that are more tasteful than just wearing a bikini wherever you go.

I don't know if I've got swept up. It's so shocking when you hear that Calvin Klein wants you for their new campaign. You're like, 'who me?'. I guess you have to decide where you draw the line between you saying, this is fun, pretty and fabulous, and being over-exposed.

Well, you put a little piece of yourself into every character that you do. Even if you're playing some psychotic person, which of course I'm not, some part of you is in that character and it's hopefully believable. I always come back to the fact that my own instinct is better than something I build in my mind.

Tons of that stuff comes to me, but a lot of it is awful. All these teenage slaying movies, and movies about girls that have deformities that become cheerleaders and then marry the prom king!

I always had the chance to do whatever I wanted to do, my parents were very open about that. Acting has been a passion of mine. I wanted to be in musicals as a kid, and took tap dance, so for me it's a dream come true, my childhood was filled with things that I loved to do, and also very normal things: I lived in New York, I have a family life and went to a regular school. If anything, I look back and think, 'Wow, I did a lot of things that a lot of people don't get to do in their lifetime'.

It's a place of solace. I love London, it's an amazing city. I've met some wonderful people there and I also have some family there. I'm from New York, so I feel very at home in London. It's like a metropolitan breeding ground for culture, art, music and diversity. It's a beautiful city, with beautiful history. In Hollywood, it's hard to step outside of the circle once you're in it. But in London I was really moved by how accepted I felt there. There was definitely less need to wear my big sunglasses!

"I came home and I thought I was going to die. I was in agony. I had muscles that had atrophied. I couldn't run any longer and it was only the first day. But, actually, Ewan was in the same boat. He had black and blue marks all over him. So, it wasn't so bad since someone else was in agony." [On filming The Island (2005)]

I don't think there's any kind of preparation for sudden celebrity. I think you almost have this slight nervous breakdown when that kind of media attention happens. I mean, you're doing the same kind of thing that you do all the time, only you have to make these weird adjustments. Like, you're buying a slice of pizza and somebody's outside photographing you which is weird - that's not normal! It's very uncomfortable.

Everyone in Hollywood is so damn skinny and you constantly feel like you're not skinny enough. But I have 'fat days' and I accept that I'm never going to be rail thin. It's hard not to feel pressure in this industry and I already use anti-aging products on my skin. I try not to let the pressure get to me but Los Angeles is a very hard place to be unless you have people here that love you. It can be very, very lonely, and it can eat you up if you don't take care of yourself.

I was driving through Los Angeles and I look up and see the biggest photo of me I have ever seen in my life on a massive ad space. I screamed and slammed on the brakes. I couldn't believe it. It's very strange to see my cleavage the size of a brontosaurus. My breasts were huge. I had long hair and my goodness, I couldn't get past the cleavage.

I don't think human beings are monogamous by nature. It's difficult - you have to put a lot of effort into a relationship. I think it's hard for actors to date each other because they are so damn moody. You are away from people constantly and having a relationship that is strictly by phone, it is miserable. Or if you say to him/her, 'Hey, (even though) I am doing a very sexy scene with this very sexy girl/boy, I love you and I'm going to be thinking of you when I am rolling around in bed with this person!'

We are supposed to be liberated in America but if our President had his way, we wouldn't be educated about sex at all. Every woman would have six children and we wouldn't be able to have abortions.

Whose life would I like to step into for the day? The president's. I could probably get some things done in the Oval Office.

"Do I ever get nervous about this, right now, being the pinnacle of my career? Yeah, I do. At the end of (filming) every movie I think, 'Wow - this is the last one! Nice working with you."'

I'm curvy - I'm never going to be 5' 11' and 120 pounds. But I feel lucky to have what I've got.

[On Woody Allen] I just adore Woody. We have a lot in common. We're New Yorkers, Jewish. We have a very easygoing relationship.

[About getting to entertain US troops in the Persian Gulf in 2008] This USO tour to the Gulf region truly means a lot. I've wanted to go over and visit for some time, and now my moment has arrived. It's one thing to reply to a letter or extend your thanks to service members in a speech, but it's another thing to visit them and spend time with those that do so much for us back home.

[on comparisons with Marilyn Monroe] I love Marilyn. I think she was incredibly beautiful and a very underrated actress. I am a curvy woman who is blonde, and perhaps we are both comfortable in our femininity, but I think that is as far as the comparison goes.

My natural hair color is dirty blonde. I've been a bottle blonde before, very yellow - and a white blonde. My dad is Danish and he's a natural blonde. I've even taken a clipping from his hair to the salon so I can have it tinted the same color!

[on Katy Perry's song "I Kissed a Girl" which was inspired by Scarlett Johansson] That's flattering, but my lips are kind of taken.

[on her trip to Rwanda and initiative to help fight against AIDS in Africa] It was important for me to come here and see the issues we're up against firsthand. I came here with an open mind, wanting to listen, understand and learn; I leave with the overwhelming understanding that the small action of making a (RED) choice in your purchases ... has an enormous impact on the lives of people in countries like Rwanda.

I don't need to be skinny to be sexy.

There was this rumor mill cranking out stories that I had lost 14 pounds -- I could never lose 14 pounds. I can't look at somebody who is 6 feet tall and 120 pounds and say, I'm going to get that body. That's just never going to happen. You have to work with what you've got.

[on her marriage to Ryan Reynolds] I never really thought about getting married - it just kind of happened. It seemed natural, the right thing to do. It was kind of a celebration of the time... I'm kind of making my own little family now, which is funny. It's like a little bit of a tribe. You hope that a relationship makes you better, that you learn things about yourself.

I would love to work on Broadway, but I don't know that it would manifest itself in musical theater ... I have terrible stage fright that I'd have to get over. It came on when I was a teenager, and I think it somehow sticks with you.

I love to get ready for the red carpet, but being on it is very uncomfortable. It's so freakish and weird. I get flop sweats, dry mouth, heart palpitations, all-over panic!

I try to stay fit and eat healthily, but I am not anxious to starve myself and become unnaturally thin. I don't find that look attractive on women and I don't want to become part of that trend. It's unhealthy and it puts too much pressure on women in general who are being fed this image of the ideal, which it is not. I think America has become obsessed with dieting rather than focusing on eating well, exercising and living a healthy life. I also think that being ultra-thin is not sexy at all. Women shouldn't be forced to conform to unrealistic and unhealthy body images that the media promote. I don't need to be skinny to be sexy.

[On winning a Tony Award] Being welcomed into this community has been a dream come true for me. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be on Broadway, and here I am.

[On working on Broadway] It was strange to think that this show is going to go on whether it's good or bad. They will let the audience in at some point, and they will see it, and we are going to be exposed for better or for worse.

[On how she spends her free time] I'm still trying to figure out what to do when I'm not making movies. I just don't do that many things.

(on being the face of Moet & Chandon Champagne) I am honored to have been chosen as their ambassador and to make history with the brand, as the first celebrity face of champagne.

[on her 2011 photo shoot for Mango clothing] Yes, it has been great working with Mango. I loved working with the whole team - I think between Mario, the makeup and hairdressing teams and the stylist, we have created something special.

Sharing food is one of life's pleasures. On a global scale, we don't share fairly. Close to a billion people go to bed hungry every night. The fact is: the global food system is a broken one. All of us, from Kentucky to Kenya, deserve enough to eat. That's why I'm joining Oxfam's Grow campaign.

I feel comfortable as a young woman - a young, modern, liberal person. I feel comfortable with my sexuality. However, I am protective of my private life. I don't think that if you are in the public eye your life is public. I am an actor. But you can't take things too seriously.

I don't feel mature. I always feel about the age I am. I know Robert Redford described me as, '13 going on 30', but that's not how I felt at the time. I am still dorky. I watch cheesy TV with TV dinners and, at one point, could not stop watching 'Jerry Springer'.


Salary
Iron Man 2 (2010) $400 000

Where Are They Now
(May 2006) Filming The Nanny Diaries (2007) in New York.

(February 2010) Starring as "Catherine" in a Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's "A View from the Bridge", directed by Gregory Mosher. With Jessica Hecht and Liev Schreiber.

(December 2010) Voted "Babe of the Year" by GQ Men's magazine.




You May Also Like These :-